Shakshuka AKA Next Level Poached Eggs
It's easy. It's tasty. It's comforting. It's perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. Are you ready to bring your poached egg game to another level?
Shakshuka is a Middle Eastern dish gaining more and more popularity all over the globe. And there's a good reason for that. Add the most flavourful tamato sauce and perfectly runny yolks to a vast choice of yummy toppings and a slice of freshly grilled pita bread. Moreover, it can be ready in 20 minutes using only the ingredients you can easily find in your pantry.
Try it next time you wanna enjoy your lazy weekend brunch. You will thank me later!
Here's how it works:
2 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 onion, diced
400g crushed tomatoes, canned
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp sweet paprika powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
+ a handful of fresh parsley, half of an avocado, cherry tomatoes, freshly ground black pepper
- Start by heating olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion and cook for about 3 minutes until translucent. Add garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Add crushed tomatoes and all the spices. Let simmer for about 10 minutes, until it gets thick and full of flavour.
- Using a spoon, create 3 wells in the sauce and break the eggs directly into the wells.
- Reduce the heat, cover the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes, checking on the yolks. The whites should be set and the yolks still runny.
- Top the dish with sliced avocado and cherry tomatoes, sprinkle with minced parsley and freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately with toasted bread.
Enjoyed this recipe? Check out Fitazfk Cookbook for tons of recipes and inspiration!
Follow @Fitazfk on Instagram