Fuelling your body with the right nutrients before exercise gives you the energy and strength needed to enhance your performance. It’s important to learn how to adjust the timing and portions of your meals based on your workouts and variable energy needs from day to day.
During Level 3, your training intensity really picks up, so you want to make sure you are fuelling your body to reach maximum potential and results.
Each macronutrient has a specific role before and after a workout.
How to promote muscle mass growth and strength gains through nutrition:
- Get optimal protein intake each day.
- Protein is the only macronutrient that stimulates muscle protein synthesis. If you don’t eat enough, you won’t your goal of building lean muscle and strength.
- Total daily protein intake is the most important factor to consider. Generally, intakes of 1.6-2.2g per kg of bodyweight will promote muscle gain.
- The Level 3 Meal Builder suggests protein portion sizes that will help you meet your requirements at meals and snacks.
Eat protein-rich foods regularly throughout the day:
- Including high protein foods at each meal means there is an even distribution of amino acids for uptake by your muscles.
- The aim is to have between 25-40g protein per meal (or 0.4g per kg x 3 meals).
- Snacks, ideally, should offer around 10g protein per serving.
You don’t have to count macros when using The Meal builder or Level 3 recipes as a guide for your meals.
Post-workout protein intake is important:
- Aim for 30-40g protein within the 3 hours that follow your workout – part of this could be in a snack and the remainder in a meal.
- If you exercise in a fasted state, eat your protein-rich meal/snack within 1 hour of
How to avoid feeling sluggish and bloated during a workout:
- Keep your pre-workout meal or snack lower in fat. Fat in a meal takes longer to digest which means food won’t be cleared from your stomach as quickly. This means you can feel full and bloated when training.
- Alcohol intake, even from the previous day, can make you feel sluggish.
- Level 3 recommends avoiding alcohol throughout the challenge.
Unlock the most empowered version of yourself
Whether you’re in your living room, the local park, your best friend’s house, or anywhere else in the world, FITAZFK will be your home for health, fitness, and creating positive change in your life. As well as vastly improving your physical wellbeing, you’ll develop a healthier mindset and new habits that support the new, empowered you.
This is for you if you have not completed transform before or you are currently training less than twice a week
This is for you if you have done transform before or you're currently training more than twice a week