Guilt Free Ice Cream Sandwich!
Nothing quite hits the spot like an ice cream sandwich on a warm and sunny day, am I right? I mean, what's not to love about an ice cream sandwich? A block of vanilla ice cream wedged between two chocolate chips cookies, with the option to add EXTRA chocolate chips around the sides... I know, I'm drooling too.
The best part? This is a healthier version of our childhood favorite, which makes it soooo much better! Most popular ice cream sandwiches you can buy at the grocery store are loaded with artificial sweeteners, additives and more. These, however, are completely dairy free, gluten free, refined sugar free and vegan! Are you with me now?
Ingredients for Ice Cream:
2 cups cashews (raw, un-roasted, unsalted)
1 cup almond milk (or other plant-based milk)
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup liquid sweetener (agave or maple syrup are my favorites)
1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or extract)
Pinch of salt
Ingredients for Cookies:
1/2 cup vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
1/4 cup applesauce (this is your egg replacer)
3/4 cup raw cane sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp arrowroot
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup gluten free baking flour
3/4 cup blanched almond flour
Chocolate chips to taste (somewhere between 1/2 cup - 1 cup should be perfect!)
- Blend all ice cream ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth and creamy. This may take a few minutes. If you are not using a high-speed blender, frequently stop the blender to give it a rest if needed.
- Pour ice cream mixture into a baking tin that will make it easy to cut circles with cookie cutter. I use an 8x8 inch brownie tin.
- Freeze for 3 hours or until firm.
- Meanwhile, for cookies, add vegan butter (softened) to a mixing bowl.
- Add apple sauce to the bowl and mix together by mashing with a fork.
- Add cane sugar to the bowl and mix with your fork.
- Add vanilla and mix.
- Add arrowroot, baking soda and salt and mix again.
- Add gluten free flour (1/2 cup at a time) while continuing to mix.
- Add blanched almond flour and mix well until your cookie dough is thick and cookie-dough like.
- Store in fridge for at least an hour before baking.
- When your ice cream is firm enough, take it out of the freezer and allow to slightly soften for about 5-10 minutes (or until easier to cut into circles).
- Use a cookie cutter to form even sized circles and immediately place back in the freezer.
- Once finished, remove cookie dough from the fridge (it should have been kept cold for at least an hour) and scoop out cookie dough with a cookie dough scooper into even-sized balls.
- Roll in between hands and gently flatten slightly, placing them onto a cookie sheet (I also used aluminum foil).
- Bake on 350 F until golden brown! This happens very quickly. In my oven, it takes 7-10 minutes. So, keep a close eye and don't go very far!
- As soon as you take them out, even though they are golden brown, they will be very soft to the touch, so allow them to cool for a few minutes before moving them. They will firm up during this time.
- Once firm and cooled down, remove ice cream circles from the freezer and make your ice cream sandwiches! You can eat them as is or add extra chocolate chips around the ice cream. Enjoy!
Follow @Fitazfk on Instagram