SOS...How to Save Yourself From Stress This Silly Season
We don’t know about you, but when it comes to living our best life, stress can sometimes be a real kick in the gut, especially when it hits you like a tone of bricks.
Sometimes a little bit of stress added to the system can actually do you wonders. This “good stress” can lead to increased alertness, energy and productivity when it comes to meeting deadlines and preparing for situations like comps or exams.
But when stress slowly begins to increase and take over your rational thinking, this can create severe health consequences such as anxiety, high blood pressure, depression and even insomnia. Stress has the capacity to a have severe emotional toll on our bodies.
Thankfully, stress is something that can be managed and controlled. Our mind and bodies are very powerful, and when trained with the right techniques, can kick stress right in the butt.
The truth is, stress is a normal human experience. It may not be something that can be eradicated, but sure as hell can be prevented! And here’s how…
By finding positive, healthy ways to manage stress, it can dramatically reduce the negative toll it can have on our bodies. What needs to be remembered is that everyone is different, and find different ways to manage stress better than others.
Some people prefer pursuing hobbies such as gardening, playing music and creating art, while others find relief in more solitary activities: meditation, yoga and walking.
Here are our 5 top tips for managing stress. Simple, yet effective when practiced frequently.
1. Avoid Caffeine…or at least reduce the consumption when feeling stressed. Caffeine induces cortisol which is your stress hormone. More coffee = more stress.
2. Meditate…and chill the fk out! Take a few minutes to close your eyes, focus on your breathing and really be present in the moment. Release any tension in your breathe out and only breathe in good thoughts. 5 minutes is all you need to and you’ll be feeling on cloud 9.
3. Get Moving…exercise is a great way to release excessive stress hormones and restore your body and mind to a calmer state. As endorphins are released in your body, you will automatically feel happier and relaxed. Our programs are not only an effective way to exercise, but only require 18 minutes of your day. Feeling stressed in the office? Why not squeeze in a FitazFK sesh on your lunch break!
4. Phone a friend…or your mama. Stress has the capacity to cloud our judgements, so by talking things through with someone close, this can help you put your problems into perspective and tame that stress.
5. Manage your time…sometimes our ‘to do’ lists can be overwhelming and cause a a heck load of stress. You need to accept that you cannot do everything at once and prioritise what needs to be done first. Write up lists that are achievable and always remember to think in the present moment. There is no point stressing over something that needs to be done tomorrow. Work smarter, not harder.
These are only a few of the many things you can do to manage stress. If you find these still aren’t working, do yourself a favour and ask yourself “Will this matter five years from now?” If you can put your situation into a greater context, you’d be surprised at how a life-shattering moment can feel less apocalyptic.
So go live out your best life and fk stress!
Follow @Fitazfk on Instagram