You heard me right! Confused? Didn't think you could turn s'mores healthier? Let's talk about this traditional nighttime campfire treat we all love so much.
Traditionally, s'mores consists of fire-roasted marshmallow, melted chocolate and graham crackers. Delicious, but not so healthy! Unless... you decide to make a homemade marshmallow fluff out of chickpea brine. I know, sounds strange. Trust me when I say, you'd never know this marshmallow fluff was made with it!
When chickpea brine is mixed with guar gum (thickening agent made from guar beans) and cream of tartar (a stabilizer and a byproduct of fermenting grapes into wine), it becomes the exact same consistency as marshmallow fluff!
Now, as for the chocolate part... natural, dark chocolate is not bad for you (unless consumed in excess). Everything in moderation, right? As a rule of thumb, it's best to stick to 70% or darker. For today's chocolate spread recipe, I decided to make it from scratch using cacao butter, cacao powder, a liquid sweetener, cashew butter and almond milk. Sounds pretty natural, wouldn't ya say? Full of protein and healthy fats.
As for the graham crackers, we're using toast in today's recipe!
Ingredients for Marshmallow Fluff:
Approx. 2/3 cup chickpea brine (the liquid from 1 can of chickpeas)
1⁄2 cup + 1 tbsp finely ground cane sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1⁄2 tsp guar gum
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
Ingredients for Chocolate Spread:
1/4 cup cacao butter, melted
1/4 cup cacao powder
1/4 cup almond milk, unsweetened
1/4 cup cashew butter
2 tbsp+ agave or other liquid sweetener (to taste)
- Add chickpea brine, guar gum and cream of tartar to a mixing bowl and beat with hand-mixer until it resembles whipped egg whites (it should be white and foamy looking).
- Add cane sugar and vanilla to the mix and beat again until it becomes stiff and sticky, like marshmallow. Set aside while making the chocolate.
- Melt cacao butter to yield 1/4 cup melted.
- Add cacao powder, almond milk and agave to the mixture and stir until mixed well.
- Remove from heat and set aside for a few minutes to cool down.
- Add cashew butter to the chocolate and mix until it becomes like a spread.
- Toast your bread (I used brown rice gluten free bread) and spread the chocolate, then the marshmallow on your toast.
- Use a torch to toast your marshmallow and ENJOY!
Like the recipe? Head over to @natalyahardan for more healthy foodie inspo!